Homepage Forums General Discussion Manioc is evil

• Author

Linda
    Keymaster

There are some people in our community who have strong feelings about manioc and the amount of assistance money that goes into preserving this as a staple food in many places in the world. I wonder if anyone might have an opinion on this…

Merry
    Participant

Not only is it being preserved where it shouldn’t be, but it is being actively PROMOTED in areas it hasn’t already invaded

Merry
    Participant

Manioc is French for cassava

Linda
    Keymaster

Merry, is there any update from your field research?

JohnP
    Participant

Not sure, but I do have an aversion to rutabaga.

Adam Jachimowicz
    Participant

I agree . Manioc is a menace .

Merry
    Participant

An update on the manioc is evil front.

I’m doing some research on kwashiorkor malnutrition. It seems to be found more commonly in areas where people depend on cassava with little animal protein to go with it.

What I found is that children with early signs of kwashiorkor or in households that have had a recent case of kwashiorkor, they are eating the same amount of calories as their neighbors who don’t have any kwashiorkor, but they are getting way less of sulfur amino acids. Cassava has compounds that become cyanide in the gut and then it takes sulfur from the sulfur amino acids to detoxify it. So if you are barely getting enough sulfur amino acids and then you eat cyanide, you’re going to have a shortage. Kids associated with kwash are also more likely to have been ill recently which would also increase the amount of sulfur amino acids they’d need to eat. So now we’re looking for money to do some interventions to reduce incidence of kwashiorkor. Anybody have any extra money they want to put towards this?

Linda
    Keymaster

Have you spoken to anyone at OFDA about this? Or maybe DfID?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.